Maine's coastal areas provide some of the best sea duck and waterfowl opportunities in the US. Our experienced guides are well-equipped to provide successful hunts for our clients. Common sea duck species encountered include eiders, old squaw (long-tailed duck), and scoters. The Penobscot Bay area is also loaded with black ducks throughout the season. Clients have the opportunity to hunt from our sturdy boats, rock formations, and layout boats. Layout boats provide an "in-your-face" hunting opportunity that you'll remember for years to come.
Sea Duck & Waterfowl
The weather in Maine can vary significantly throughout the season. We recommend that you bring the following items with you to make sure that your hunt is a comfortable and successful one:
- Insulated Waders
- Heavy Coat(s)
- Layering Clothes
- Warm Hat
- Face Mask
- Two boxes of non-toxic shot per day of hunting (We recommend shot sizes of #3, #2, and #1. Lead shot is prohibited by law.)
- Shotgun (Must have a plug installed that prevents the gun from holding more than 3 shells at any given time)
- Gun Cleaning Kit and Oil to prevent corrosion after being exposed to salt water
- Casual Clothes for after hunting
- Toiletry items (Bath towels and other common lodging items provided)
- Plastic bag(s) for wet/soiled clothing
- Clients may bring their own retriever if they choose to do so. We do require that the dog have and wear a vest and booties while working. We also require that the handler have Blue-Kote spray to treat cuts that the dog may acquire while working. No more than 2 dogs are permitted in the cabin. An additional, one-time cleaning fee of $40 will be assessed to clients opting to bring their own retriever. Handlers are responsible for any damages that may be caused by their dog.
Sea duck hunts begin early in the morning. Your guide will pick you up from the cabin and discuss different options of locations to hunt that morning. While on the water, you will enjoy a great breakfast packed by JD that typically includes breakfast sandwiches accompanied by fruit juices and water. You are welcome to bring any other snacks or non-alcoholic beverages that you may desire. When your hunt is finished, your guide will bring you back to the cabin where lunch will be waiting for you to enjoy and unwind after a fun morning on the water.
We provide a few different pricing packages for you to choose from:
$450 per day per person; Meals and Lodging included. Minimum of 3 hunting days required*. Checkout day is not charged. Tips for your guide are not included.
$250 per day per person. Meals and Lodging are not included. No minimum days required. Tips for your guide are not included.
Puddle Duck- $100 per afternoon hunt per person
Clients may opt to substitute puddle duck hunts for sea duck hunts on some or all of their booked hunting days. Pricing is the same as listed above per person per day dependent on the package you select.
*Weather permitting. If conditions are deemed unsafe by our US Coast Guard documented guides, that day's hunt will be canceled. Our clients' safety, as well as our own, is our top priority. Alternative opportunities may be offered contingent upon conditions.
For more information regarding season dates and bag limits, click here.